Friday 26 September 2008

airport

I sit in the waiting area of the court at the airport, looking at my client, looking is all I can do as my arabic is shall we say limited, well non-existant, and my client's English is not bad, he answers questions clearly and uses proper English words, unfortunately the questions he is answering and not the questions I am asking.
What disturbed me, was that it took 5 minutes of conversation before it became clear that he has no idea what I am talking about. When he showed me fourth phone bill instead of a photo of his (alleged) wife, I realised that either a. he was married to a phone, b. he did not understand me, inspite of his smiling face (probably a clue there that he had trouble understanding me) and assertions that he spoke "English half and half". I have never heard of a man marrying a phone, so guessed b. was right, obviously he speaks the other "half" of English, the one I don't speak.

No comments: